Why, oh why, are we cursed with frizzy hair!?!?
No one likes frizz. Seriously, not a single person is on team fluffy, frizzy hair. And like most things in life, the first step in trying to figure out how to manage it, is to address WHY it is that way to begin with.
Ok, here it goes. Frizz is a result of the lack of moisture and the cuticle (outer layer) of the hair not laying smooth against the hair shaft. When your hair senses moisture or humidity in the environment, that cuticle opens up and starts absorbing the moisture from the environment., swelling the strands of hair.
There are many factors that cause your hair to be dry/thirsty/dehydrated. Here are a few, most of us are guilty of a few of these!
Your shampoo is not moisturizing enough. See below for some recommendations!
Protein to moisture ratio is out of balance. Too much protein without moisture will dry you out!
- Is your diet well balanced?
- Are you drinking enough water, at least half of your body weight in oz per day.
- Certain medications can cause changes to your hair.
- You have over processed the hair with repetitive chemical treatments that damage the cuticle.
Now sure, you can (and should) grab one of these super cute hats for the lazy days of summer. But even though its hella cute, it shouldn't be your wardrobe staple that you are hiding under.
*I only have handful of these left so if you want one, come and get it quick!
So now you know some of the whys but what should you do about it? Here are 6 tips!
1. Shampoo less often but use a super moisturizing product. I will share some below and on social media.
2. Deep condition! Yes, even if your hair is fine. Use a detox shampoo like Kevin Murphy's Maxi Wash and follow with the recommended masque weekly. I would be happy to recommend one that works with your porosity level. Try the Treat Me Experience, (its like Botox for your hair), learn more about that in salon treatment here.
3. Turn down the heat on your styling tools and use a round brush to smooth the cuticle.
4. Sleep with satin or silk accessories, like a scarf tied around your head or on a silk pillowcase to keep your hair from rubbing against rough, dry surfaces.
5. Apply a product like a leave in conditioner before swimming or working out, the sodium in your sweat can dry out your strands.
6. Use a sulfate free wash. Did you know all Kevin Murphy products are sulfate free, paraben free and cruelty free.
Since May's color theme is PURPLE, I want to share some of the products from the Kevin Murphy line that are heavenly in the moisture/smoothing department!
Do you have any tips for managing frizzy hair that you would like to share? Leave a comment below, subscribe to the mailing list and share this post with someone who needs to know!
This post is part 2 of a series on how to get yourself camera ready. My dear friend and favorite family photographer, Sarah Kane is compiling some super helpful info from me and style guru, Joanna Avant to help her clients feel prepared for their sessions.
Do you have questions on how to prepare for a photo session? Leave them in the comments and there may be a blog post or Facebook live coming soon to give you the answer.